Monday, August 17, 2009

life three weeks in

Wake is now over three weeks old. Things are beginning to seem a bit more manageable. Being a parent is getting a little easier, although it is by no means easy! My sister Ashely and my niece and nephew came to visit Wake during the week for one night. Meg helped keep Wake busy and even Charles held and fed the baby! He really loves being around his cousins. I then called on my wonderful parents to come and help me again this weekend as I was feeling a bit drained (and the fridge was empty!). It doesnt take much to get Nana to come and rock the baby! Hunter and I were able to get out and run some errands and even go to a friends house for a couple of hours (until I was too tired and had to come home at 9:30!). Having help is wonderful and there is no amount of thanks you can give for it!

Last week Wake went to the doctor to get weighed to make sure that my breastfeeding is plumping him up accordingly. He had gained 1.5 lbs. and the doctor was really pleased. He is now 8lb. 8oz., and hopefully continuing to put on the weight! He never misses a feeding and loves to drink...he really does have a drinking problem! He will go to the doctor again for his one month visit on Monday. This week he has started to really lift his head on his own, engage in eye contact, make new cries, make some coos, and all around be a bit more attentive. Attentive is good.

Me, well, I'm on a path to feeling a bit better this week after a not so good last week. Sleep is necessary, new mom or not, and i was not getting any of it! Thankfully we started using bottles and Hunter and other help have been able to take over some of the feedings so I dont have to every 2-3 hours. While breastfeeding is best for baby, it is one hard schedule for mom. Thanks to the inventor of the breast pump! I know that everyone tells me it gets easier as they begin to space their feedings apart...i look forward to those days of space and some sleep at night!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear things are going well for you. hang in there on the sleep thing. It will get better, and don't worry about the bottle. We did that early on and I think I would have lost my mind if we didn't. You have to take care of yourself or you won't be able to take care of wake.
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete